Author: I. Bogut, L. Bavčević, I. Stević
Published by: Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Published in: 2016
No. of pages: 552
In order for fish to preserve their good health and achieve high growth and fertility, apart from being provided the necessary ecological conditions, they need to be given feed of an adequate nutritional value and content with regard to amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and energy. Fish feed also needs to be tasty and without harmful substances. The economic significance of feed in fish production should be stressed, visible in the fact that feed costs constitute a large share in total production expenses. This implies that feed and feeding are crucial factors, especially in intensive farming. Knowledge regarding fish feeding is vital to understanding fish pathology. Many health and reproductive issues are caused by mistakes made during feeding or the inadequacies of certain nutritional substances.
The foundation of successful fish farming is feeding with adequate feeds and balanced feed mixtures, while the fundamental precondition for successful feeding is good knowledge regarding the build and function of the digestive system because it makes the selection of feed and preparation of feed mixtures much less demanding.
This book presents these issue, which are very complex, as fish, according to their diet, can be divided into omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores. This also implies varying builds and functions of the digestive system. By successfully adopting knowledge on morphology and then physiology, the reader will obtain an almost complete insight into fish feeding. Quality fish feeding is the foundation of a good product.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS PUBLICATION IS A PDF file.
1. Morphology of the digestive system
2. Physiology of the digestive system
3. Morphology and physiology of the digestive system of larvae
5. Feed and feed mixture supplements
6. Digestion of nutrients
7. Absorption of nutrients
8. Digestibility of nutrients
9. Analysis of nutrients in feed and feed mixtures
10. Principles of energy and substance exchange
11. Modelling nutrient exchange and energy
12. Feeding of warmwater fish
13. Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) nutrition
14. Saltwater fish nutrition
15. Fish nutrition and health
16. Fish feed production technology
Glossary of terms